Nicholas Sims was coached by Glenn Stoutt and mentored by Cylk Cozart. While some thought his dream of playing football in college, on a scholarship, and pursuing a career in acting wouldn't work, we knew different. Here's what he got out PTRG Academy.
After just 1 month in the program and after completing the PTRG Academy online program Sims received an offer from the University of Alabama and the University of Mississippi. Nicholas decided that the University of Toledo was the perfect fit for where he wants to spend the next 4 years.
Nicholas learned fast how the finances work and how to capitalize on monies that he qualified for that will come back to him. But, most importantly, he learned how to successfully negotiate to receive the funds. Not only will Sims receive $10k in grant monies, he will also receive another $10k in academic scholarship money, money that he will receive each month. All lessons he learned while taking the PTRG Academy.
Here’s what Sims had learned in only the 2nd of 8 lessons: “I held an interesting conversation with a Head Coach using the PTRG’s ‘useful tips’ and one coach from Army left a detailed voice message to me because of my planned out voicemail.”
“What did open my eyes is what goes on in the life of the coaches and helps me make it easier for them.”
“I’ve learned how to convince the Coach that I’m their solution and how to make things easier and accessible for them. I also learned that grants aren’t the same thing as loans, they’re way more helpful and useful.”
“PTRG Academy is a learning tool for anybody that doesn’t know about the program and will save most of the athletes that are lost in the recruiting process that don’t know their value.”
Nicholas has now completed the PTRG Academy program so let’s find out what stood out the most. Here’s the questions we asked and his responses:
Question; As you progressed through these lesson topics, what are some of the things that stand out in your mind?
- Everything is not picture perfect in meaning that your always not going to get that big time SEC offer but may be from a NAIA, D2 or D3, regardless of the matter a free education is a free education!
- I was not aware of how much money goes into Pell Grants and I had no idea about Pell Grants. One thing I’ve learned is always have a full understanding of anything you pursue or you will be lost.
- You have to face reality and wake up to cater to the coaches who are really interested in you.
Question; Give an example of how you may have already used some of the information you’ve learned and/or how you will use it in the future?
- I’ve made sure with my counselor I’m on the right track to having all the right classes!
- I will be filling out my FAFSA form because I am Pell qualified to the max!
- I’ve texted coaches from D1 programs and I’ve used other interest from other programs as leverage.
Question; As you’ve reached this point in the process, how would you describe what the PTRG Academy is to another student athlete that knows nothing about the program?
- This program will let you know everything that is going on in this recruiting game and won’t have you looking lost.
- It will simply increase your chances of getting multiple looks.